Monday, August 18, 2008

Panhandling

When I mention the word panhandling do you think of the northern part of Florida? Or maybe one of the less desireable sorts you see on the streets downtown on your way to or from work? What image does the word bring to your mind?



We recently had our own panhandling experience here in Puerto Lempira. Believe it or not, our own Katrina was the culprit. She went from person to person, even went into restaurants, asking for people's spare change. She wasn't seeking a little more cash to buy that next drink or fix. She wasn't trying to play on people's sympathy for any of the normal reasons you would see someone panhandling. Don't worry. God, through you, our supporters has been doing an excellent job of making sure our needs get met. Let me back up a bit and give you the details of the story.



Some of you remember Ricardo, our old friend and sometime employee. Well, he had to go to Tegucigalpa to have his prosthetic leg refitted and repaired. While there, he is caring for his sister-in-law, mother of SEVEN of his nephews and nieces, Elda Garcia, who was just diagnosed with cancer of the fallopian tubes. Doctors want her to start radiation therapy ASAP, but she cannot afford the cost. He called us to ask if there was any way we could help.

Chagrined, I started to shake my head no when my wife told me about the request. I have no idea how much this sort of thing costs in the US. All I know is that it's more than I have at my fingertips. Not God though! Right? Well I almost fell over when my wife told me how much it would be...

$500 or less!!! How many people have you known or known of that had a bill like THAT for radiation therapy for cancer? It's inconcieveable to me that health care and treatments so vital for life and death can cost SO MUCH MORE in our wonderful, technologically advanced country. Time and time again I am astounded at how inexpensively serious illnesses can be treated here in Honduras because I have been trained to believe the prices for health care in the US are necesarrily as high as they are.

Anyway, (sorry for the rant), now I saw it as do-able. But I still knew we could not just plop the money down on the counter. House of Hope is limited in who they can help in a financial way. They help children. If it were a child we could have looked into the House of Hope coffers for at least part of the help. Neither did we have anymore of our personal funds to dole out. We had already helped Ricardo with his prosthetic, a prostitute whose life was in danger to relocate, and another young lady who got stuck in Tegucigalpa and needed airfare home.

What would we do to fill the need? I didn't know, but Katrina had an idea. "These local merchants can't tell me no!", she proclaimed, boldly, "I've taken care of their children, grand-children, nieces and nephews when even they couldn't do so!" So she took her show on the road day before yesterday and raised MORE than was needed for the treatment. Ricardo got mugged a week ago and they took his cell phone, which was his only connection to us and his family at home. With the extra money he will be able to purchase a new, if cheap, one AND put $20 of time on it.

Please Pray for Elda. We don't know her as well as we do Ricardo, but her condition weighs heavy on our minds. The Lord has promised that "He that began a good work in [ Elda ] is faithful to complete it!" We know that He is working to bring help in her direction. We sincerely hope you will believe with us and her children and loved ones for remission and recovery.

God Bless You!!!

No comments: