Saturday, March 11, 2006

from Katrina

I am still working with the deaf, and becoming a little more fluent in signs. I have one boy right now thirteen years old. He is very smart, and his vocabulary is increasing everyday. I have a girl, and a friend of hers who wants to come for the summer to teach us both, as I do not have the time right now to completely immerse my self, and that is holding him back. Any material I can get on it will be greatly appreciated. Right now we have thirty four children (including mine). Yesterday I was awarded custody of four children who were orphaned by a friend of mine who died of aids some months ago. She wanted me to have them, but the aunt took them hoping to get the two houses they own. One is severely retarded, then a five year old girl, and six year old boy, a fourteen year old girl, and possibly a twelve year old who we have to go back to court for as she is with another family member. They were being abused and neglected very sad, sad situation for their sakes I am glad it is over. I only hope that we will be here for the next thirteen years to raise them. The judge of the state, with the captain of the Special Forces, and the captain of the police department, and the chief of human rights came to drop them off. The retarded girl scooted in (she cannot walk,) and looked at me and said mommy give me a kiss in Miskito everyone laughed. God has truly given us favor with the govt. officials here. We have had five malnourished babies this past month, and we have one more coming this week nine months old seven pounds. It is incredible that they can survive so long. We started home schooling this year we have twenty students. God has touched the founder's heart to build us a separate building for a class room. We are happy with this new project. We have a group in, and I got new shelves in my office, and storage room, and bunk beds, a new clothes line etc. etc. blessings all of them blessings to make it easier having a house full of kids. We are very happy working, and feel we are making a difference. One little retarded boy twenty pounds and five years of age came, and his body was so atrophied he could not even lift his own head, he has been with us since we got home, and he is holding his own head up, and trying to crawl, and holds a cup now, the child hardly ever cries a very happy little boy. He is also gaining weight slowly, but surely. He gets therapy twice a day. I don’t have the time to write about all of them its past midnight, but I have been wanting to get a letter out to you. When the orphans came yesterday I went to my office, and looked for something special to welcome them home. I found twin baby dolls for the two little girls. They were very happy. So I thought of you of course. Most of what I brought was given away as Christmas presents which all the children enjoyed, but I brought enough for some extra as well. We are waiting for the container with the rest of what you sent eagerly, esp. now that I have shelves to put them all on. Anyway I think that is all hope you are all fine. Thanks for everything we miss you. Blessings Katrina

God Bless You!!!

Roger Engle

No comments: